We at Newslaundry are from the world of news, and want to turn the mirror on ourselves. We respect independence, we value justice, and we consider transparency an important and achievable goal.
We know that you care about how your personal information is used and shared, and we take your privacy very seriously. By coming to Newslaundry, you are accepting the privacy practices outlined in this policy.
This Privacy Notice outlines NewsLaundry Media Pvt Ltd.’s approach to privacy to fulfil its obligations under applicable privacy laws.
It is in line with best practices laid down in the India personal data Protection Bill, 2019 and is in compliance with the IT Amendment Act, 2008. This Privacy Notice applies to all your personal data processed by us, whether in physical or electronic mode.
Throughout this document, the terms “we”, “us”, “our” and “ours” refer to NewsLaundry Media Pvt Ltd. The terms “you”, “your” and “yours” refer to YOU (the individual whose personal data we are referring to).
NewsLaundry Media Pvt Ltd is committed to keeping your personal data private.
We process any personal data we collect from you in accordance with the provisions of this Privacy Notice. Please read the following carefully to understand our practices regarding your personal data.This Notice may be amended or updated from time to time to reflect changes in our practices with respect to Processing of Personal Data, or changes in applicable laws
What personal data do we collect & process?
The categories of personal data that we collect and process are:
a.) When you Sign In or register to our app/website, we collect personal data such as contact details, like your name and email address. When you register using other accounts like Facebook, Twitter, Gmail etc. we shall retrieve Information such as email address, first and last name along with Avatar URL from such account to continue to interact with you and to continue providing the services.
b.) When you subscribe to our services, we collect your personal data such as
- Contact details like your name, email address and contact number.
- Financial data like payment details (this data is encrypted with the payment gateway service provider. NewsLaundry’s access is limited to contact details, payment mode, and not details like the full card used and CVV number. That information is only with the payment gateway, which is covered by RBI and financial regulators).
c.) When you sign up for our newsletter, we collect your personal data such as
- Contact details like name, email address, city name.
d.) When you visit and browse through our app/website, we may collect personal data through online identifiers and other technical data like IP address, transaction logs, and device details. These are features that are standard across all apps/websites.
e.) When you order or consent for merchandise delivery, we store information you provide like contact name and address for delivery.
f.) When you gift a subscription to another user, we may store the gift message, address and contact details (emails and contact number) of the giftee for delivering merchandise and to interact and provide services to them..
Where do we obtain your personal data from?
The personal data that gets collected in the background and/or is observed about you during usage of our service.
The personal data that gets generated during usage of our service.
How do we use your personal data?
We use your personal data for the following purposes:
1) To verify your identity.
2) To deliver our services.
3) To communicate with you regarding existing services availed by you, including notifications of any alerts or updates.
4) To evaluate, develop and improve our services.
5) For product analysis.
6) To send you information about our other services which may be of interest to you.
7) To handle enquiries and complaints.
8) To comply with legal or regulatory requirements.
9) To investigate, prevent, or act regarding illegal activities, suspected fraud and situations involving potential threats to the safety of any person.
Lawful bases of processing your personal data
We process your personal data by relying on one or more of the following lawful bases:
1) You have consented to us processing your personal data for specified reasons.
2) The processing is necessary for compliance with a legal obligation we have (for example, towards law enforcement agencies, government agencies, regulators, etc).
3) The processing is necessary to render certain services to you. For example,
to communicate with you regarding existing products and services availed by you, including notifications of any alerts or updates.
to evaluate, develop and improve our products and services.
Where the processing is based on your consent, you have the right to withdraw your consent at any point in time. Upon receipt of your request to withdraw your consent, the consequences of withdrawal will be communicated to you. In many cases, upon such a withdrawal, we may not be able to continue offering our products and services to you. You may withdraw consent by contacting us at email@example.com
Deletion of Personal Data
You have the right to request the deletion of your personal data collected by Newslaundry. We are committed to ensuring your privacy and data protection. To initiate the deletion process, you can use either of the following methods:
Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Request for Account Deletion”. Please include your full name and any relevant account information to assist us in processing your request.
By using our app:
Open the Newslaundry app and navigate to the “Manage account” section on the menu. Click on “Delete Account” and follow the on-screen instructions to confirm the deletion of your account and associated data.
Upon receiving a valid deletion request, we will cease the collection of your personal data. Additionally, we will delete any stored user data collected before the request as required by applicable data protection regulations.
Please allow a reasonable time for us to process your request. We may retain certain data for legal and administrative purposes, but it will not be used for any other purpose.
If you have any concerns or questions regarding the deletion of your personal data, please don’t hesitate to contact us using the provided contact information. Your privacy matters to us, and we are committed to safeguarding your data in accordance with applicable laws and regulations.
When do we share your personal data with third parties?
Any third party processes we are engaged in are bound by legal and contractual obligations. These obligations clearly state how your data is processed or handled.
Your data will be processed in accordance with the prior written instructions and agreement.
Proper confidentiality and security provisions are in place to protect your personal data together with any additional requirements under applicable law.
They will only retain the given data for the period specified in the written contract.
1) Reasons for sharing your personal data with third parties:
We may disclose your personal data to third parties only where it is lawful to do so. This includes instances where we or they:
need to provide you with services.
have asked you for your consent to share it, and you have agreed.
have a legal obligation to do so. For example, to assist with detecting and preventing fraud.
have a requirement in connection with regulatory reporting, litigation or asserting or defending legal rights and interests.
We may also disclose your personal data to appropriate authorities if we believe that it is reasonably necessary to comply with a law, regulation or legal process; protect the safety of any person; address fraud, security or technical issues; or protect our rights or the rights of those who use our products and services.
2) With whom your personal data may be shared:
We may disclose your personal data to the following third parties:
- other group companies that are essential to hosting and distributing our content. For example, we host our podcasts on Acast and use Quintype’s content management system.
- any subcontractors, agents or service providers who work for us or provide services or products to us.
- law enforcement authorities, government authorities, courts, dispute resolution bodies, regulators, auditors, and any party appointed or requested by applicable regulators to carry out investigations or audits of our activities.
- statutory and regulatory bodies, authorities (including the government) investigating agencies and entities or persons, to whom or before whom it is mandatory to disclose personal data as per the applicable law, courts, judicial and quasi-judicial authorities and tribunals, arbitrators and arbitration tribunals.
Cross-border data transfer
Personal data we hold about you may be transferred to other countries outside of India for any of the purposes described in this Privacy Notice.
Any personal data will be protected in accordance with this Privacy Notice as well as with adequate protections in place in compliance with applicable laws and regulations.
Cookies are small text files that are placed on your computer by websites that you visit. They are widely used to make websites work, or work more efficiently, as well as to provide information about your actions to the owners of the website.
Most web browsers allow you some control of cookies through browser settings.
Outlined below are the categories of cookies along with a description of what they are used for.
- Strictly Necessary Cookies: These cookies are needed to run our website, to keep it secure, and to comply with regulations that apply to us.
- Functional Cookies: We may use functional cookies on our website. These cookies allow us to remember information you enter or choices you make (such as your username, language, or your region) and provide you with enhanced, more personalised features.
- Performance/Analytics Cookies: We may use performance/analytics cookies on our website. These cookies collect information about how visitors use our website and services, including which pages visitors go to most often and if they receive error messages from certain pages. It is used to improve how our website functions and performs.
- Marketing Cookies: We may use marketing cookies on our website. These cookies help us decide which of our products, services and offers may be relevant for you. We may use this data to tailor what you see on websites and mobile apps, including social media. For instance, you may see our ads on other sites after you have been to our website.
We may also use trackers (such as web beacons, tags and pixels) on our website and other digital properties to collect data about you.
We may also collect personal data about you via our mobile app(s) via permissions in the app. This is primarily used to enhance the functionality of the app and to analyse it to serve you better.
How do we secure your personal data?
We are committed to protecting your personal data in our custody. We take reasonable steps to ensure appropriate physical, technical, and managerial safeguards are in place to protect your personal data from unauthorised access, alteration, transmission, and deletion. We ensure that the third parties who provide services to us under appropriate contracts take appropriate security measures to protect your personal data in line with our policies.
How long do we keep your personal data?
We keep the personal data we collect about you for as long as it is required for the purposes set out in this Privacy Notice and for legal or regulatory reasons. We take reasonable steps to delete or permanently de-identify your personal data that is no longer needed.
If you are a parent or guardian and are aware that your child has provided us with their personal data by subscribing or signing in to NewsLaundry, you may reach out to us by emailing us if you no longer want your child’s personal data to be processed or retained. Please contact us at email@example.com.
Links to other websites
Our website may contain links to websites of other organisations. This privacy notice does not cover how those organisations process your personal data. We encourage you to read the privacy notices on the other websites you visit.
For any further queries and complaints related to privacy, or exercising your rights, you could reach us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Notification of changes
We regularly review and update our Privacy Notice to ensure it is up-to-date and accurate. Any changes we may make to this Privacy Notice in future will be posted on this page.
Your privacy rights
You have a right to access the data that you have provided. You also have a right to update or make corrections to data that you have provided. The accuracy of such data is solely your responsibility.
If you wish to make a request to exercise any of your rights, email us at email@example.com