I&B ministry asks BARC to 'release news ratings with immediate effect'

BARC had suspended ratings following the Mumbai police unearthing a 'TRP scam'.

WrittenBy:NL Team
Date:
Article image

The ministry of information and broadcasting has asked the Broadcast Audience Research Council to "release the news ratings with immediate effect and also to release the last three months data", Exchange4Media reported today.

The report cited an order issued by the ministry dated January 12. The order noted BARC's "revision in its processes, protocols, oversight mechanism", that it had "initiated changes in its governance structure", and that a "permanent oversight committee" had been formed.

BARC had suspended the publication of its weekly TV ratings in October 2021 in the wake of the "TRP scam" unearthed by the Mumbai police. The police alleged that a few media houses bribed homeowners to “rig” their TV ratings. At the time, BARC said it planned to "review and augment the current standards".

In March this year, the I&B ministry had told BARC not to resume the ratings until a committee examining discrepancies in the TRP system submitted its report.

Newslaundry reported at length on the troubles plaguing BARC and the alleged scam; read some of our coverage here.

Also see
article imageTRP scam: BARC’s ratings suspension has news channels worried, but not advertisers
article image‘One must play dirty’: Chats show how Arnab Goswami plotted with BARC CEO
article imageArnab Goswami versus Rajat Sharma: How BARC became a conduit to settle scores

Comments

We take comments from subscribers only!  Subscribe now to post comments! 
Already a subscriber?  Login


You may also like